Ph.D., 1988, Geology and Geophysics, University of Hawaii (physical volcanology)
M.S., 1981, Geology, University of Colorado (igneous petrology, volcanology)
B.S., 1975, Geology, University of Missouri at Kansas City (minors in mathematics and philosophy)
Fourth of six children, raised in urban Kansas City, Missouri.
Mother of 3 sons (26, 23, 21).
Have had a dog in my life since age of 12 (currently Rufus and Leila but also Hallie, Clancy, Hector, Blueberry, Becky, Erin); prior to that had a battery-powered pup named Gaylord.
Started visiting Boulder in 1958 at age of 5 en route to Rocky Mountain National Park for a couple weeks each summer to camp, hike, backpack with my Dad and siblings.
Moved permanently to Boulder in 1977 (with a short hiatus in Honolulu, Hawaii while I was studying for my Ph.D.)
25 years of involvement in Boulder:
- Boulder City Council, 1995-2003, 2007-present
- Community Review Group 1994-1995
- North Boulder Subcommunity Plan Committee (1993-1995)
- Rocky Flats Coalition of Local Governments (1998-2004, 2007-present)
- Rocky Flats Local Impacts Initiative (1996-1998)
- Boulder Co.Recycling & Compost. Auth. (1997-2002)
- Boulder Co. Resource Conserv. Adv .Board (2002-2005)
- CU/City Steering Committee (1995-2001)
- NW Parkway Feasibility Policy Com. (1996-97)
- Greenways Master Plan (1996-2000)
- City Charter Committee (1995-1997)
- PLAN-Boulder County Annual Award, 2006
- Nat’l Sierra Club “One Step at a Time” Award, 2003
- Eco-Cycle Awards, 1991, 1993
- E-TOWN E-chievement Award, 1992
- Boulder County Energy Conservation Award, 1989
- Eco-cycle block and region leader
- Co-founder of the Centennial Neighborhood Association
- Co-founder of the North Boulder Community Coalition
- Co-designer and co-builder of the first structural adobe home in Boulder, Colorado (1987-88)
- Permagarden builder
- Generates < 3 bags of trash per year (and have done so since the late ‘80’s)
- Likes to keep her ecological footprint small!
Research Geologist, U.S. Geological Survey (since 1977)
Hobbies and passions:
- Hanging and traveling with my three sons and two dogs
- Hiking and bouldering
- Writing poems
- Walking through different neighborhoods looking at the variety of architecture and gardens
- People and quality of life issues (safe crosswalks, fair representation, equal opportunities)
- Historic preservation
- Climbing trees